The port of Den Helder is the base of te Dutch Navy. Moreover it is a fishingport. Here you take the ferry to the isle of Texel.
The strategic position of Den Helder along the seaside; its natural port and its position at the gate to the Wadden Sea makes its harbour of great military importance. The port dates back tot the fifteenth century. The city was bombed several time during the second World war and rebuild in the fifties of the last century.
The best things to do in Den Helder
- Take a walk through the port. The navy an coast gard are always present over here. In the port you find the impressive Navy Museum.
- Take the ferry to Texel. The trip lasts approx. 45 minutes. Enjoy the Wadden Sea.
- Visit the fortress Kijkduin, buid by Napoleon who thought Den Helder could become the Gibraltar of the north.
- The Summer Carnaval in Den Helder July is quite a party: 13 july 2019. The Carnaval is part of the “Helderse Zomerfeesten”.
- Go on a naturetrip and visit: the “Donkere Duinen”, “Mariendal”” and “The Helderse Vallei”.
- Climb tot the top of the Light House in Huisduinen and enjoy the great vieuw over the city, the sea and a dunelandscape.
- In 2020 you can visit the next edition of the open days of the navy, the so called “Vlootdagen”.
- The Botanical Garden “Hortus Overzee” offers a fine collection of plants.