The port of Den Helder is the base of the Dutch Navy. Moreover it is a fishing port. South of Den Helder you find a vast area with Dutch bulb fields.
The strategic position of Den Helder along the seaside; its natural port and its position at the gate to the Wadden Sea makes its harbour of great military importance. The port dates back to the fifteenth century. The city was bombed several times during the second World war and rebuild in the fifties of the last century.
The best things to do in Den Helder
- Take a walk through the port. The navy an coast gard are always present over here. In the port you find the impressive Navy Museum.
- Visit the fortress Kijkduin, build by Napoleon who thought Den Helder could become the Gibraltar of the north.
- The yearly Summer Carnival in Den Helder the second weekend in the month of July is quite a party. The Carnival is part of the “Helderse Zomerfeesten”.
- In 2020 you can visit the next edition of the open days of the navy, the so called “Vlootdagen”.
- The Botanical Garden “Hortus Overzee” offers a fine collection of plants.
Major things to do in and around Den Helder
- Make a long walk along the blooming tulip fields of Zijpe in April and the beginning of May. Here you find an important area with Dutch bulb fields.
- Take the ferry to Texel. The trip lasts approx. 45 minutes. Enjoy the Wadden Sea.
- Climb to the top of the Light House in Huisduinen and enjoy the great view over the city, the sea and a dune landscape.
- Go on a nature trip and visit: the “Donkere Duinen”, “Mariendal”” and “The Helderse Vallei”.
More things to do in Den Helder
The fleet days in Den Helder are a major event. Usually this event is combined with Sail Den Helder. In 2020 is the next edition of Sail Den Helder.