Yeah, hip, hip, hooray, in 2023, Kinderdijk is celebrating the 25 anniversary of the UNESCO site. Saturday, December 6, 1997, the mill complex Kinderdijk was officially designated a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
➔ Anniversary 25 year UNESCO Mills at Kinderdijk
An absolute must see are the windmills of Kinderdijk! It’s a truly enchanting place located in the Netherlands and is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. As a tourist in the Netherlands, visiting Kinderdijk offers a unique and authentic experience that allows you to immerse yourself in Dutch history, culture, and iconic landscapes. Walking on the small road where the mills are built feels like time has stood still. Visit a mill and feel like a time traveler. must-see
Where to find Kinderdijk
Kinderdijk is situated in the province of South Holland, near the city of Rotterdam. This picturesque village is renowned for its 19 beautifully preserved windmills, which were built in the 18th century to manage water levels in the low-lying polders and prevent flooding.
Visit a Museum Mill at Kinderdijk
How special is this, visit the museum mill and feel like a time traveler. It is amazing to walk around in this mill and see how the miller and his family lived in the old days. Can you imagine sleeping in such a tiny bed?
UNESCO World Heritage Kinderdijk
Since 1997 Kinderdijk has been a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Kinderdijk is known for its iconic 19 windmills, which were built in the 18th century to manage water levels in the low-lying polder landscape and prevent flooding. Kinderdijk is considered a significant example of water management technology and has cultural and historical importance, which led to its designation as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
How to get to Kinderdijk and see all the beautiful windmills
- Take the waterbus from the city of Dordrecht of Rotterdam to the Windmills at Kinderdijk.
- Rent a bike and explore the region around Dordrecht.
When you show your Waterbus ticket you can hire a bike for only €5 a day at e.g. Kinderdijk.
➔ Rent a bike or E-bike in Dordrecht
- Rent a bike in Rotterdam. Welcome to Rotterdam
➔ Make a cycle trip to Kinderdijk, famous ENESCO windmills near Rotterdam
➔ Rent a Bike or E-bike in Rotterdam
- At the bigger NS train stations, you can rent a bike, at some NS stations you can rent an e-bike.
➔ Rent a bike or E-bike at the NS train station
- The best way to visit Kinderdijk is by waterbus, hope on in Rotterdam or Dordrecht
➔ Waterbus ticket | Kinderdijk | Unesco World Heritage
- Regional products: a fine selection of cheese, beer, honey, and crafts you find in a nostalgic shop in the countryside. Go to: “De Heerlijkheid van Papendrecht”, Kerkbuurt 56, 3354XK Papendrecht.
➔ De Heerlijkheid van Papendrecht