New Year’s Eve “Oliebol” is the sweet oily thing Dutch people eat by tradition. In the month of December, you can buy “Oliebollen” everywhere. Oliebollen are sold in stands, bakeries, and supermarkets. We prefer to bake them at home. An Oliebol has the size of a small orange and is eaten with a lot of powdered sugar. The Oliebol is fried in sunflower oil in a big frying pan. It is not unhealthy to eat them.
New Year’s Eve “Oliebol” is a traditional dish.
Here we present a great recipe to make your own Oliebol. It is quite simple. Enjoy making and baking the Oliebol and most of all enjoy eating the Oliebol., you need the following Ingredients to create a fine “Oliebol”:
- 500 grams flour
- 1/2 liter milk
- 20-25 grams fresh yeast (or one small package which is approx. 7g)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 50 grams chopped candied peel
- 1 lemon
- 1 sour apple
- 75 grams raisins
Preparation of the baking process of the best New Year’s Eve “Oliebol”
- Wash the raisins, and let them dry out.
- Heat the milk in a saucepan until it’s tepid.(max 40°C, so don’t let it boil!)
- Crumble the fresh yeast, mix it with the sugar and 1dl (100ml!) tepid milk in a bowl, and stir until it’s a nice smooth mixture. If you don’t have any fresh yeast just use the dried yeast in the same way.
- Mix the flour with the salt in a big bowl. Make a little hole in the center, and pour the yeast mixture into it. After that add the (tepid)milk that is left into the same hole. Mix it with a hand blender or a spoon until it’s a nice smooth mixture.
- Mix the grated lemon peel, the apple pieces (with the lemon juice), the raisins, the chopped candied peel, and the cinnamon into the mixture.
- Cover the bowl with some foil and let the batter stand (rise) for about an hour on a warm spot.
- Heat the sunflower oil until it reaches 180ºC. Now, you can do the next step with a soup spoon (a deep big one). Stick the spoon in the heated fat for a couple of seconds; this will prevent the batter from sticking to the spoon. Use the spoon just as you would use it to serve soup. Make sure the spoon is filled with the batter, and carefully dip it into the oil. Repeat this, but don’t have more than 4 of them in the oil at the same time (this also depends on the size of your pan). Fry the ‘Oliebollen’ for about 8-10 minutes until they are nice gold brownish. Rotate them with a fork after 4 minutes, so the whole thing gets fried equally. Some say a good baked Oliebol flips itself during the baking process. Repeat this step until all of the batters is used.
- Let the ‘Oliebollen’ dry out on some kitchen paper before you serve them. Arrange them on a nice dish and don’t forget the powdered sugar! If you don’t like raisins, apples, or candied peel, you can leave it out. You can eat an Oliebol hot or cold, we like them hot the most. Save them in a refrigerator and heat them in your oven the next day.
After you fried the Oliebollen, let them leak out and cut them open. You can stuff them with whipped cream, strawberries or whatever you prefer. This is not the traditional way to eat an Oliebol but if you like it? Why not.
Don’t you like to make the batter? There are special packs “Oliebollen mix” available. Just add water, stir and let it rise on a hot spot, and the batter is finished.
Baking Airballs in the Airfryer
This recipe for Oliebollen, also called Airballs, is to prepare them in the Airfryer. The recipe is from The Philips Master. An Airfryer is a kind of oven that works on hot air, it is used for baking with less oil than usual.
When you can’t buy Koopmans Oliebollen Mix in your country you can replace it by:
- 350-gram flower
- 2 egg whites
- 150 grams sugar
- 400 gram Koopmans Oliebollen Mix
- 400ml warm water
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 7 grams of dried yeast
- 250g raisins drenched in water
- 100g flour + 25 g powdered sugar to roll in
- If possible, do all ingredients in the bowl of the Kitchen Machine and make the dough with the kneading hook.
- Let rise for 1 hour with help of a wet cloth over the bowl.
- Squeeze balls with a medium size ice cream spoon and roll them into the flour / powdered sugar mixture.
- Preheat Airfryer and fry the balls 4 pcs
- 10 minutes 200 Gr Celcius brown.
- After 5 minutes, just turn the Airballs.
- If you want, you can spray them with some sunflower oil, to give them more color.
- Serve with powdered sugar.
Enjoy your Oliebol of when you made it in the Airfryer, enjoy your Airball.
If you can’t buy Koopmans Oliebollen Mix in your country, you can send me a message and I send one to you.
Thanks for the recipe and instructions! We tried them in the Airfryer as an alternative to oil this year. Was quite good, but may need some practice!
Thanks again from Perth, Australia.