You find Duurstede Castle on the banks of the river Rhine. Once Romans and Vikings ruled here now Blues musicians control the city. But Castle Duurstede remains a playground for fairies and knights. But the best thing is that romance comes to a climax when love is codified in Dorestad Castle at countless wedding parties.
Wijk bij Duurstede Castle: Stage for Blues Music at the river Rhine
Duurstede Castle is great. Watch the tower reaching for the sky. Clinging to its island. Once it was surrounded by walls as well. The castle is magic. It offers a stage for Jazz and Blues. But it also is a playground for fairies building castles in the sky. Moreover, the surrounding countryside and the city of Wijk bij Duurstede are awesome.
From Castle Wijk bij Duurstede in a kayak downstream the River Rhine
Picture yourself in a boat on a slow streaming river. Going downstream the Old River Rhine in a canoe. It is so quiet. It is oh so still. Birds are singing. Orchards and pastures are green as far as the eyes can see. You move under monumental skies. Where are you? Well, you paddle through the countryside of Holland from Wijk bij Duurstede to Utrecht. You pass by more castles and monumental parks. Finally arriving in the city center of Utrecht. You find yourself on one of the most beautiful canals in Europe. You are in the heart of Holland. You are in one of the five strongest economic regions of the European Union. Sit down, have a drink on a terrace on the banks of the canal and get enchanted by the magical realism of Utrecht.
Panorama of Castle Wijk bij Duurstede from the dikes along the River Rhine
- Rent a kayak in Wijk bij Duurstede and paddle to Utrecht.
- Enjoy the best ice cream of the region in the center of Wijk bij Duurstede.
- Visit the corn mill Rijn and Lek and climb to the top of the mill.
- Visit a Sunday afternoon concert at Castle Duurstede.
- Do not miss the weekly market on Wednesday mornings. Once a year there is a special Geranium market.
- Rent a bike in Duurstede and explore the countryside. Do not miss the Cherry Museum and the Cherry Hut in Cothen, Groenewoudseweg 18.
- Museum Dorestad: Dive into the rich History of Dorestad. They do have quite a collection of Roman and Viking objects, sometimes more then 2000 years old, found during excavations.
Short walk from Castle Duurstede to the River Rhine and the city center
From the castle, you either walk to the riverside of the Rhine or you head directly to the two church towers in the center. From the bank of the river Rhine, you get a nice panoramic view of the city. Around Sint Jans church you find is the center of town. Here are restaurants, the Dorestad Museum and two excellent ice cream parlors. Right beside the church, you find the regional tourist information office.