Wijk bij Duurstede a castle, a windmill, and the river Rhine
You find Duurstede Castle on the banks of the river Rhine. Once Romans and Vikings ruled here now Blues musicians control the city. But Castle Duurstede remains a playground for fairies and knights. But the best thing is that romance comes to a climax when love is codified in Dorestad Castle at countless wedding parties.
Castle Wijk bij Duurstede: Stage for Blues Music at the river Rhine
Duurstede Castle is great. Watch the tower reaching for the sky. Clinging to its island. Once it was surrounded by walls as well. The castle is magic. It offers a stage for Jazz and Blues. But it also is a playground for fairies building castles in the sky. Moreover, the surrounding countryside and the city of Wijk bij Duurstede are awesome.
From Castle Wijk bij Duurstede in a kayak downstream the River Rhine
Picture yourself in a boat on a slow streaming river. Going downstream the Old River Rhine in a canoe. It is so quiet. It is oh so still. Birds are singing. Orchards and pastures are green as far as the eyes can see. You move under monumental skies. Where are you? Well, you paddle through the countryside of Holland from Wijk bij Duurstede to Utrecht. You pass by more castles and monumental parks. Finally arriving in the city center of Utrecht. You find yourself on one of the most beautiful canals in Europe. You are in the heart of Holland. You are in one of the five strongest economic regions of the European Union. Sit down, have a drink on a terrace on the banks of the canal, and get enchanted by the magical realism of Utrecht.
Panorama view from the mill Wijk bij Duurstede over the dikes along the River Rhine
What else is there to do in and around the city of Wijk bij Duurstede
- Rent a kayak in Wijk bij Duurstede and paddle to Utrecht.
- Enjoy the best ice cream in the region in the center of Wijk bij Duurstede.
- Visit the corn mill Rijn and Lek and climb to the top of the mill.
- Visit a Sunday afternoon concert at Castle Duurstede.
- Do not miss the weekly market on Wednesday there is a nice market with fruit, vegetables, clothes, and other nice stuff. Once a year there is a special Geranium market. And so now and then there is a fleamarket
- Rent a bike in Duurstede and explore the countryside.
- Do not miss the Cherry Museum and the Cherry Hut in Cothen, Groenewoudseweg 18.
- Museum Dorestad: Dive into the rich History of Dorestad. They do have quite a collection of Roman and Viking objects, sometimes more than 2000 years old, found during excavations.
Mill Rijn en Lek, Wijk bij Duurstede
The mill Rijn en Lek is a working corn mill that still grinds grain daily. Various types of flour are for sale in the mill shop. So if you like to bake your own bread, this is the place to be to buy flour. The mill can be visited for free. Take the narrow stairs up, watch your head some parts are low, and see how the mill works. On some days the miller is present. The miller tells about the history of the mill and answers all your questions.
A short walk from Castle Duurstede to the River Rhine and the city center
From the castle, you either walk to the riverside of the Rhine or head directly to the two church towers in the center. From the bank of the river Rhine, you get a nice panoramic view of the city. Around Sint Jans church you find is the center of town. Here are restaurants, the Dorestad Museum, and two excellent ice cream parlors. Right beside the church, you find the regional tourist information office.. Bij the way, the locals say Wijk instead of Wijk bij Duurstede. After side seeing the city Wijk bij Duurstede you should go to one of the restaurants for a nice drink and a bite. In Wijk, the quality of the dishes is definitely high. Go to Wijk and you will have a great day.