GLOW is an annual, largely free, and spectacular Light Festival, don’t miss it, it’s absolutely amazing. This Light Festival always takes place in November. Eindhoven is the hometown of Philips, the world-famous light bulb producer. Therefore Eindhoven is also called the city of light. Eindhoven lies in the southeast of Holland, about 111 kilometers from Amsterdam. It will take you about 1 hr 20 minutes to get there by train. When you walk out of the Eindhoven station you’ll be at the beginning of GLOW.
➔ GLOW Foto expression of the 2023 Light Festival
Light Festival, Light Art GLOW in Eindhoven
The first GLOW Light Festival was organized in 2008 as an experiment. Over the years GLOW has grown into a grand light festival, It is very popular and audience-friendly. During the Light Art Festival, the city of Eindhoven is visited by more and more visitors every year. In 2023, this enchanting Light Festival will be visited by over 700,000 visitors. GLOW, can rightly be called the world’s largest light festival. This Festival runs partly on volunteers, donations, collaborations, and partnerships and lasts for a week.
What you need to know about the Light Festival GLOW Eindhoven:
- Light Installations:
- Artists from around the world contribute to the festival by creating unique light installations that illuminate public spaces, buildings, and landmarks.
- These installations often use cutting-edge technologies, including LEDs, projections, and interactive elements.
- Each year, the festival may have a specific theme that guides the overall artistic direction and narrative of the event.
- Themes can range from cultural and historical perspectives to more abstract and experimental concepts.
- City Transformation:
- Eindhoven’s streets, squares, and buildings serve as the canvas for the light artists, turning the city into a magical and immersive experience for visitors.
- Interactive Experiences:
- Some installations encourage audience participation, allowing visitors to engage with the art and become part of the spectacle.
- Cultural and Community Engagement:
- Glow often incorporates cultural elements, fostering a sense of community and celebrating the local spirit.
- The festival may include performances, workshops, and other events that complement the light installations.
- Nighttime Atmosphere:
- The festival typically takes place in the evening and at night, creating a unique and enchanting atmosphere as the city is bathed in a myriad of colors.
. Best stay in light city Eindhoven during GLOW festival? ➔ Book here Hotel Mariënhage
November is Light Festival month in Eindhoven
In November, when daylight is getting shorter and shorter this GLOW Light Festival brings light into darkness. Evenings are long and dark and the city of Eindhoven transforms into a grand Light Festival spectacle.
Glow Light Festival Eindhoven is a high-tech event
Eindhoven is a high-tech city. Lights, art, architecture, and science, all come together in the GLOW festival. Eindhoven presents itself as a technology metropolis.
Saint Catherine’s Church is part of the GLOW Art Festival
Saint Catherine’s Church is an impressive Gothic-style church located in the heart of Eindhoven and it is surrounded by other historical and modern landmarks. The church hosts regular religious services, and it may also be the venue for special events, concerts, and cultural activities. The church is often but not yearly a part of the GLOW Light Art Festival.
The town of Eindhoven offers artists, designers, and architects the possibility to present themselves during this yearly, 8-day GLOW festival. The artists use computers, sensors, animation, sculptures, and light installations to make a spectacular light show.
Open Air Museum Eindhoven
The center of the city transforms into a walkable open-air museum. The light art festival is mostly free but there are extra exhibitions where you must pay a little admission. The presentation is in public places in the center of the city, free for everybody to see and enjoy. Last year the GLOW festival attracted more than 700,000 visitors.
Impression of Glow Light Festival Eindhoven
Awesome video impression GLOW
The total GLOW route takes about 2 hours to walk. A route map is available at every restaurant or cafe in the center of the city.
There are special guided tours organized. If you like this you can book a guided tour by the VVV tourist office, these tours cost about 10 euro per person
With the GLOW app, you follow the tour by GPS, and the audio tour is downloadable for all the projects.
Light Festival in the city center of Eindhoven
When you walk through the center of Eindhoven there are a lot of nice cafes and restaurants, some of which have heated terraces. Take the time to drink or eat something, there’s a nice and good atmosphere in the Eindhoven cafes and terraces.
➔ What more is there to see and do in Eindhoven?
The city center of Eindhoven
Opening hours GLOW
Sunday to Thursday from 18:30 to 23:00 hours
Friday and Saturday from 18:30 to 24:00 hours
Eindhoven is a great city with loads of things to do
GLOW Light Festival Eindhoven
City center Eindhoven
DAF museum is an automobile museum
Address: Tongelresestraat 27, Eindhoven
Address: Emmasingel 31, Eindhoven
PSV football stadion
Address: Frederiklaan 10a, Eindhoven
PSV Fanstore: Stadionplein 4, Eindhoven, entrance 17
Abbemuseum – Modern Art
Address: Bilderdijklaan 10, Eindhoven